Here’s an article I wrote about maintaining an adventurer’s spirit (on a tight budget, with ecological concerns) for The Pudding Shop Blog. https://puddingshopblog.wordpress.com/2016/01/27/the-thing-with-money/
It’s basically just London and York in January!
- Saturday 9th January 2016 – Hammer & Tongue National finals @ The Royal Albert Hall, LONDON.
-I’m just performing in the day time section because I help to host Hammer & Tongue Brighton! But the whole weekend is jam packed full of great poets, have a peep here http://www.royalalberthall.com/tickets/events/2016/hammer-and-tongue-uk-poetry-slam-finals/
- Tuesday 26th January 2016 – The Poetry Archivist @ The Proud Archivist, LONDON.
-I’m hosting, with James Bunting. Featured sets from Vanessa Kisuule and Ben Norris. Its going to be ACES, Details here.
- Friday 29th January 2016 – Say Owt Slam @ The Basement, Picturehouse City Screen, YORK.
-Featured set from me, loads of brilliant slammers, REALLY excited to be doing a gig in Yorkshire, details here.
- Saturday 30th January 2016 – Say Owt Workshop
– Also in YORK, facilitated by me! Details TBC.
Today is an exciting day because I can share this video for the first time! It is a short film of my poem Bit Red, imagined into visual form by film maker Zoe Alker.
I’m so pleased and proud of how sensitively and realistically it follows to poem’s theme of exploring how difficult it can be to talk about sex, and the kind of sex we want to have. I don’t think we live in a world yet where, especially for women, it is comfortable and natural to discuss, explore, express, articulate, explain the particulars, details, specifics of what kind of sex we would like to be having (or not having). I don’t want to say too much on the matter because its a poem not a socio-political statement, but hopefully poems can start conversations.
I’m so excited and nervous for people to see it. Please take a peek.The actors are Bryher Flanders and Harry Gould, and they are so brilliant.
THANK YOU TO THEM, and also to Zoe Alker, Ryan Sharpe, Georgia Ingles, Jamie Bell, Isabel Macfarlane, Chlo Edwards, Jack Cookson and Cat Wright for making this totally gorgeous and sensitive film!
I don’t think there’s a particularly strong tradition of reviewers at live poetry events really, so I don’t get that many reviews, good or bad, of my readings. So as you can imagine I was pleased as punch to read this, about my gig in Canterbury at the end of September, from publisher / reviewer Whisky and Beards:
‘Normally, when I don’t have much to say about a headliner, it’s because I don’t have many nice things to say, or I’m trying to kill a high word count, but this is the first time I can recall it being so wildly the opposite. Sally’s work is riveting and enthralling, equal parts surreal and identifiable, in some way I’m upset I couldn’t take more notes, but I wouldn’t have missed any second of her performance for the world.’
Full write up here: http://whiskyandbeards.co.uk/2015/10/08/gulbslam-the-gulbenkian-300915/
I’m performing in Cambridge, Sheffield and Poole in the next month or so. Details in the post below or under the ‘gigs’ tab, please come along if you’re based near one of those towns!
- Monday 21st September BRISTOL @ Milk, The Halo Cafe, Gloucester Road, Bristol. With brilliant Laurie Bolger! Details here https://www.facebook.com/events/1613295128925264/
- Sunday 27th September BRIGHTON @ Macmillan Coffee Afternoon Extravaganza! Details here- https://www.facebook.com/events/866298930122736/
- Wednesday 30th September CANTERBURY @ The Gulb Slam
The Gulbenkian, University of Kent, Canterbury, Kent, CT2 7NB
Details here https://www.facebook.com/events/1456914161280684/
- I’m also facilitating a workshop from 6pm until 7pm before the above show, the workshop will be for poets who are looking to start running workshops themselves! A workshop about how to run workshops! Fun! Here’s the details https://www.facebook.com/events/1483323818648015/
- Wednesday 21st October CAMBRIDGE – @ The Vaults, 14A Trinity St, Cambridge CB2 1TB, with Robin Lamboll. http://www.thevaults.biz/
- Friday 30th October SHEFFIELD – @ Off The Shelf festival, Theatre Delicatessen, 17-19 The Moor, S1 4PF, with MIKE GARRY! Details here… http://www.offtheshelf.org.uk/events/off-the-shelf-closing-party
- Thursday 19th November POOLE, DORSET – @ Spread the Verb, Poole Museum.
Back in October 2014, the lovely people at Kumquat Creative filmed these lovely videos of me performing two of my poems: ‘However Big You Think You Are’ and ‘Let’s Eat’ at the lovely Twisted Teapot cafe in Bournemouth. Take a look / listen:
I’m going on tour TODAY! Seven lovely gigs for Hammer & Tongue all around the country, sharing bills with some of my favourite poets and performers in the WHOLE WORLD! What a lovely job this is. Please do come to one of these if you’re in the area, they will be great!
- Tuesday 2nd June – Hammer & Tongue Hackney @ The Book Club, 100 Leonard Street, EC2A 4RH, Shoreditch, London. With incredible poet Antosh Wojcik!! https://www.facebook.com/events/985933211439891/
- Wednesday 3rd June – Hammer & Tongue Bristol (its their regional slam final!!) @ The Big Chill Bar, 15, Small Street,, BS1 1DE, BRISTOL. With Thommie Gillow.
- Thursday 4th June – Hammer & Tongue Brighton WITH SIMON PANRUCKER! @ Komedia, 44 Gardner Street, BN1 1UN, BRIGHTON.
- Friday 5th June – Hammer & Tongue Cambridge, with Daisy TG @ Cambridge Junction,Clifton Way, CB1 7GX CAMBRIDGE
- Monday 8th June – Hammer & Tongue Camden, with INUA ELLAMS @ The Green Note Cafe, 106 Parkway, NW1 7AN, LONDON
- Tuesday 9th June – Hammer & Tongue Oxford (its their regional slam final!!) @ The Old Fire Station, 40 George Street, OX1 2AQ Oxford